The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

JMT Day 9: Silver Pass

Saturday, July 30, 2011
Destination: slightly past the mono creek trail
Starting Location: Lake Virginia
Today's Miles: 11.00
Trip Miles: 91.60
Another great day in the wilderness! I didn't eat much for breakfast and became very confused and delirious by time we reached Squaw Lake. It might have just been the mosquitoes playing with my mind. They were quite hungry today. There was a big descent to Tully Hole which was followed by the climb to Squaw Lake.

Squaw Lake

I got the strategy of three consecutive rubs on my arm, then I would switched to the other and repeat this for a lengthy duration! I believe many of those friendly foes perished that day.  We heard thunder as we neared Silver Pass.  We decided it was best to seek cover so we made our way over the pass as quickly as possible.

Near Silver Pass

Descending to Silver Pass
 It was fairly easy and the rain was like a shower! We had a great descent and the sun came out in time for some exciting stream crossings. One was even through a waterfall.  We hopped across some big boulders.  Another one we I just jumped from rock to rock and I think Josh found a log,  but then fell in and got a little wet. We could have done a normal ford taking our boots off easier. We camped near the trail junction for VVR.





No comments:

Post a Comment