The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Wonderland Trail Day 1: Sunrise to Indian Bar

Wednesday, July 18, 2012
       Destination: Indian Bar
Starting Location: Sunrise
Today's Miles: 14.00
Trip Miles: 14.00

Today I woke up early in my car and drove to the wilderness center to get my permit. I made a few adjustments to shorten my first day's journey. Originally, my permit was to go from Sunrise to Nickel Creek but I switched it to Indian Bar instead. This was a good idea! Due to this switch I moved Day 2's destination to Paradise Creek instead of Pyramid Creek. I was told that I would be one of the first on the trail this year and that I would likely be making my own tracks in the snow!
         After driving to Sunrise and getting all my gear organized, it was time to hit the trail!

Sunrise Parking Lot


           From Sunrise it was a nice descent to White River Campground.
The weather was beautiful and it was great for my first day on the trail! I passed two others on the trail who had received their permits right after me. I told them I would try to leave good tracks!

White River



Heading up to Summerland


Summerland Shelter

I had a little difficulty finding the Summerland camp, but with my gps I was eventually able to make it up there! I climbed up a creek bed, that I was slightly worried about snow bridges so I was careful checking the snow to make sure I wouldn't fall through!

 After Summerland, it was off to conqueur Panhande Gap. From a distance it looked a little intimidating, but when I got closer, I saw some tracks off to the left of the cornice. The ascent was easy and not too steep and the snow was soft. At the top there were excellent views of Mt. Rainier and even other large mountains off in the distance. I tried to figure out what they were on my map but I couldn't.

Panhandle Gap





High Mountain Views


 Next, I descended to Indian Bar. At times, I followed tracks and others I just ran down the snow fields.






 Eventually I made it some streams: one that I jumped across and another that I forded through. Apparently, I forgot that if I would have stayed to the left, there was a bridge at the bottom near the shelter. Oh well!
Stream near Indian Bar

Indian Bar Shelter
The shelter was buried in snow but I was happy to stay in it. I moved to the top bunk after a little mouse said "Hello" to me from the end of my sleeping bag! It was a great first day with many spectacular views. I'm sure there will be many more to come. This certainly is wonderland!

No comments:

Post a Comment