The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Wonderland Trail: Intro and preparation


"Washington State’s famed Wonderland Trail is a spectacular 93-mile route that circumnavigates Mount Rainier, challenging hikers with its strenuous 22,000 feet of cumulative elevation gain and loss. Magnificent forests, wildflower-filled alpine meadows, breathtaking glacier views, up-close-and-personal wildlife encounters, pristine lakes and streams."

July 17, 2012

After finishing my last exam of my summer semester of PT school, it was time to head to the trail! I had my friend drop me off at the Amtrak station and I was on my way to Chicago for my flight to Seattle!
Previously I had reserved a permit and purchased my food and organized all my gear. I planned to finish in 6 days even though my permit gave me seven. I was able to plan my journey with the help of wonderlandtrailguide.com and other online resources.
The most recent trail conditions that I had heard were that the trail was 45% snow covered and some sections entirely snow covered. For this reason, I asked my dad to load the maps and trail into my gps. This was very helpful to the completion of this expedition!
Once I arrived in Seattle, I was able to rent to a car (somehow my underage fee got voided! Thanks Avis!)   and drive a few hours to get close to the wilderness center where I was to receive my permit early the next morning.
I didn't know where to sleep, so I just ended up sleeping in my car by the side of the road in one of the turnouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment