The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Big Bend Day 1: Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive and Laguna Meadow Trail

December 15, 2013

My initial plan was to arrive at the Basin Visitor Center by 8:30 am to get my permit and start hiking today so that I could finish on Wednesday.   I needed more sleep during my drive from Dallas  so I decided to take it easy for the day and explore some of the popular attractions of the park away from my planned route.

I arrived at Marathon with perfect timing in order to purchase some gas to make it to Big Bend.  Some hunters had just called the guy in charge of the gas station and he arrived shortly.


After buying gas, it was quite a remote drive to reach the park.

Once I made it to the park I had to purchase an entrance pass for $20 that was good for the entire week.  The vast expanse of the park was bigger than I had anticipated.  I stopped to take many pictures on the side of the road.


I decided I wanted to go see Santa Elena Canyon, which meant I would drive the Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive.  Along the way I had the opportunity to see Tuff Canyon

There were many scenic viewpoints along the side of the road.  If you only have a short time in the park, I would recommend this scenic drive.

At the end of the road I came to the trailhead for Santa Elena Canyon.  The trail is very short and well designed.  It first goes to the Rio and then ascends on the right side of the canyon below.


Looking out from the canyon

In some areas the canyon was very narrow!


 The trail ends when the canyon wall goes straight up from the water.


On the drive back, I stopped at the Santa Elena Canyon viewpoint to see the canyon from afar.

I also stopped at the Mule Ears viewpoint, knowing that I would see it again from the other side in the near future.



I also stopped to see Goat Mountain.

The drive was so spectacular that I ended up taking more time than anticipated.  I still wanted to go hike to the famous Window, but I decided to head to visitor center to get my permit.  I would hike a short distance to get a head start on the journey and push back my departure date until Thursday night.  I received my permit and the ranger had no objection to my zone camping requests. We set up a first night destination for Laguna Meadow.  He also had me fill out a solo hiker form and took pictures of me with my gear and of the bottom of my shoe.

 I was instructed to park in the amphitheater/overflow parking lot.  I quickly got the rest of my belongings together and added in some extra water to increase my carrying capacity.

My hike was approximately four miles to Laguna Meadow and most of it was climbing upward.

There were many great views along the way.




 Once I made it up to where the trail leveled out, I saw that I could go up a little higher off the trail.  I decided to head to the top and found this view!

I arrived at my campsite, made some burritos with cold instant refried beans and put my down jacket and gloves on to stay warm.  This night was the only night when I actually felt cold and needed to wear gloves to keep my hands warm.  I thought I heard a bear during the night, but it was only a deer!

No comments:

Post a Comment