The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Big Bend Day 3: over Jack's pass and to Rio/Mariscal Canyon

December 17,  2013

I awoke and began the final ascent to Jack's Pass.  I found the fence mentioned in other people's reports and followed it up to the pass.



The climb wasn't too steep, but still was the biggest climb of the day.  Once at the top Dominguez Mountain provided a nice view.


Descending from the pass was more challenging and took time to maintain safety.  The photo below looks back on the descent.

There were some nice flowers on the way as well.


As I continued down I searched for Dominguez Spring and when I looked down into a valley I saw the ruins listed on my map and also a trickle of green slimy water running down the rocks.  I found a pool that I was able to submerge my water bottles in to refill them.  I then treated the water with aqua mira drops.

From the spring I joined the Dominguez Spring Trail which was easy to follow. As the terrain flattened to the east I went off trail.  I continued cross country until I came to BM 2173 which I intended to cross at a point farther to the east but I ended up crossing where it splits off toward Woodsons.



I was able to follow the Mariscal Mountain range to the east, planning to be on top of it while hiking in the opposite direction the next day.



I continued to hike southeast, intending to meet the road to Talley where it turns southeast, but I ended up farther south than anticipated. So I met the road slightly north of the Mariscal Canyon Rim Trail.  From the trail I continued on the road to the Rio Grande.  I was able to replenish my water supply and look across the river into Mexico.

After a short time, I returned to the Mariscal Canyon Rim Trail and made my way toward Mariscal Canyon.  It was already nearing sunset and the mountains were bright with the sun's light.



Before I could reach the canyon overlook the sun had already set.

There was still some light when I finally reached the canyon.  The view was very deep and I let out a few loud noises to hear my voice echo off the canyon walls.

It was almost dark, so I looked around for a flat spot to camp.  I decided to risk not setting up my tent after finding a very small spot with views of both the Rio Grande off in the distance and the canyon in the opposite direction.



No comments:

Post a Comment