The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Big Bend Day 4: Mariscal Canyon to Elephant Tusk

December 18, 2013

Here is the view from where I slept last night.  The Rio Grande is visible in the distance.

I discovered a deeper view into the canyon all the way to the Rio below.

The early morning light was colorful and the moon was still visible above the Rio.

 I continued along the Mariscal Canyon Rim Trail in the early morning.

There are many points on the trail where a short hike to the edge reveals the huge depth of this remote canyon.

The trail soon brought me to the western base of Mariscal Mountain.  I decided the climb to the mountain from as it looked achievable. After a short break I began the climb.  It didn't take long and I was on the of the spine of the mountain.  Looking to the northwest revealed the flat desert that I traversed yesterday.

I followed the spine without much difficulty after reaching the top of the spine.  It was relatively flat and narrow at times with great views in every direction!

Below shows the most difficult portion of the route to the summit.  I was able to climb the right portion of the big boulders.  There were ledges that made it easier than it looks in the picture below.

Views from the summit




The actual traverse along the spine was something I had read was possible but had never read an account of someone actually doing it.  It started out easy with gradual walking along the narrow spine of the mountain.

I did have to watch my step to avoid crushing wilderness creatures.

As I hiked north, navigation difficulty progressed.  Many valleys appeared to both the sides.  It was difficult to stay on the spine without having to descend into valleys and then climb up the other side.  When I began to see the desert out in front of me I thought I was almost done, only to find a lower level for miles and miles. Overall, there were no serious dangers, only additional time needed.  At the north end of the mountain I found Mariscal Mine.  I didn't have much time but took a few pictures.  There were a few others exploring the area as I passed through.



After leaving the mine, I followed the road for a short distance and then went off trail heading northwest toward the Elephant Tusk Trail.  I went a little farther to the east, and backtracked a little to the southwest to find the trail after coming to the Black Gap Road.  I was getting thirsty, but conserving my water was a priority as I wasn't sure I would find water in the springs near the trail.
 The trail was well maintained and easy to follow on my way to Elephant Tusk.


In the evening I was able to find some water flowing down a side stream beside Elephant Tusk that was not listed as a spring on the map.  I also saw water flowing far below the trail in a canyon.  Getting this water was very helpful as I only had two liters left.  While filling up my water, it became very dark out. After I was done I decided that I should find a flat spot to camp.  I climbed up the canyon to my right with light from my headlamp.  I found a flat spot to place my polycro ground sheet and examined the area for any creatures.  Under a rock I found a large grasshopper.  The view of Elephant Tusk was right in front of me and an innumerable number of stars shown around it.




2 comments:

  1. Hey Eric,
    I've traversed Mariscal, and I know a few others who have as well. Next time you're headed Big Bend way, I'd recommend a visit to bigbendchat.com. I consider myself a hard core bender, but I'm constantly amazed at some of things I read at bigbendchat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rob. Without bigbendchat I would never have been able to complete this route! Great site!

      Delete