The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Hoist Lakes/Negwegon State Park

September 27-29, 2013

"Hoist Lake foot travel area encompasses almost 10,000 acres of pine, aspen and hardwood forest. There are 19 miles of looped trail." It is located approximately 200 miles north of Detroit.  I spent two nights exploring the area and then took a short drive to Negwegon State Park on the shore of Lake Huron.

After finishing the work week, I drove to the west trailhead (indicated by the "7" on the map) and hiked in darkness to Byron Lake.  There was a nice campsite beside the lake.  While setting up camp, I saw some eyes shining in the darkness.  It was a raccoon!  I made sure to hang my food bag.  During the night I noticed my sleeping bag smelled especially foul.  My family's cat must have decided to urinate on it back at home!



In the morning I found some swans swimming in Byron Lake.


I went out for a day hike of the majority of the area.  I left most of my gear in camp so I traveled quite light. From Byron Lake I traveled north and looped over to Hoist Lakes passing junctions 11, 5, 4, 3, 2, and 14.  These junctions are signed with corresponding numbers and also have maps, making it difficult to get lost. The trail was in good condition and a pleasant walk through lush forest.


No-name Lake



The fall colors were just starting in late September.


I stopped at South Hoist Lake for a snack and a couple other hikers walked by.



North Hoist Lake

From North Hoist Lake I followed the two-track road to Penoyer Lake where I found a nice campsite to take a break.

I returned to trail and headed south from intersection 12 to loop back to Byron Lake.



I decided to move my campsite to the west end of the lake and started a fire.

There were beautiful evening views to the East across Byron Lake.



The next morning I hiked back to the car and completed my journey in the Huron National Forest.

I began my drive to Negwegon State Park.  On the way I passed an Au Sable River Overlook.



After driving on a remote dirt road I made it to Negwegon State Park.  I decided to do a quick trail run before heading home.  I decided to stick to the east side of the trail system, close to Lake Huron and make my way to South Point.  I passed several walk-in campsites on the way.



View from South Point




South Point Campsite

The trail through the forest was great for running.

The beach near the parking lot was sandy.


It was an eventful weekend with diversity of scenery and moderate temperatures.  I recommend both the Hoist Lakes area and Negwegon State Park for remote outdoor experiences in Northeast lower Michigan.  Hoist Lakes has a $5/day user fee, and camping at Negwegon State Park is reservable by calling Harrisville State Park at 989-724-5126.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Eric,
    I work in the photo department at Backpacker Magazine, we're currently looking for photos of North Hoist Lake, South Hoist Lake and Byron Lake for an upcoming feature. I saw you have good photos here and wanted to discuss using them in the magazine. Please email me at jj@aimmedia.com so we can discuss. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete