The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Garibaldi Provincial Park: Black Tusk, Cheakamus Lake, Panorama Ridge

July 3-6, 2014

Garibaldi Provincial Park is located in Brittish Columbia 70 km north of Vancouver in the Whistler area.  The park has some truly amazing views.  I discovered it randomly while looking at Google Maps while I was staying in Anacortes, Washington.  My route began at the Black Tusk Trailhead/Rubble Creek Parking lot.  For planning information and a great website see here: http://www.vancouvertrails.com/.

Day One: Rubble Creek Parking lot to Garibaldi Lake Campground
Day Two: Garibaldi Lake Campground to The Black Tusk to East Cheakamus Lake Campground
Day Three: East Cheamamus Lake Campground to Panorama Ridge and off East Side of ridge at unnamed lake.
Day Four: Unnamed Lake to Panorama Ridge and then back to parking lot through Taylor Meadows

Day 1: Rubble Creek Parking lot to Garibaldi Lake Campground

I began the day driving north to the US/Canada border.  After some time waiting, I made it into Canada and drove through Vancouver.  The drive was beautiful along the Sea to Sky Highway.

On the trail I quickly began my climb up to Garibaldi Lake along Rubble Creek.


It was a significant climb with lots of switchbacks.  I made it to Barrier and Less Garibaldi Lakes.


I followed the outflow from Garibaldi Lake.


I came to the peak that the park is named after, Mount Garibaldi.

Then I reached the tip of Garibaldi Lake near the Rubble Creek outflow.

I followed along the edge on the way to the campground, knowing that the view was only going to get better!

There were some shelters nearby but camping is not allowed in them.   I came to a great view of Battleship Island, Garibaldi Lake, and Mount Garibaldi.

The campground has many tent pads and some were still covered in snow.  My tent isn't free standing so opted for a site on the ground on the east side of the campground.

Lake Garibaldi, Mount Garibaldi, and Mount Price

Far across the lake was the impressive  Sphinx Glacier.


Sphinx Glacier

I explored the area around the campground and decided to go around part of the south side of the Lake.  Looking back, I had my first view of The Black Tusk, my goal for the next day.

The Black Tusk from Garibaldi Lake

The Battleship Islands are the result of volcanic activity. Some of the surrounds peaks are volcanoes including Mount Price.


I went past the ranger station and continued along the lakeshore.

Black Tusk

Mount Price





 I headed back to the campground and the evening light was starting to get nice.

Battleship Islands and the Sphinx Glacier

I took a panorama to capture the spectacular evening scenery!






Nearby  I found a great reflection of Mount Price.


The clouds hovered over a mountain across the lake.

Supposedly there's an old trail to the top of Mount Price.  I didn't have time to explore it and it looked snowy up there.

The shelters had picnic table, sinks to wash dishes and a wire to hang food bags.

Day 2: Garibaldi Lake Campground to The Black Tusk and Eastern Cheakamus Lake Campground

In the morning I began the climb up to The Black Tusk.  On the way I passed a scenic pond.

The slopes were quite green and the trail was great, but a little muddy.


To my right I enjoyed the view of Garibaldi Lake down below.

Soon I was on snow and not quite sure where the trail was.

But I could see my goal: The Black Tusk!

The views became bigger as I climbed.

I came to a ridge and turned left toward The Black Tusk.


It was almost whiteout conditions as I hiked the ridge, but there was a definite path.



 I skirted the base of The Black Tusk looking for the chute to the top.  I had read that there was a ribbon to look for.  I came to the chute that looked the easiest but I didn't see a ribbon so I continued on.  Eventually I came to a straight cliff so I decided to return.  I looked up farther and noticed a small ribbon.  I dropped my pack and climbed to the top.  It was that steep but using hands was necessary.  I checked for loose rocks.  By no means am I a rock climber, but I found this to be more fun than scary.  At the top the views were mostly in the clouds, but they were still special.

From the Summit of The Black Tusk



The clouds began to part of Garibaldi Lake.

Garibaldi Lake from The Black Tusk

I could see down into the valley I would traverse on my way to Cheakamus Lake.


On the way down I took a picture of the crack the I had to maneuver through.


Garibaldi Lake

The last part down was the steepest part.  I could see my pack down below.

Black Tusk, Mimulus, and Garibaldi Lakes

Looking back up at the steepest part of the climb.

From this view I could gain an appreciation for how much taller Mount Garibaldi is than Mount Price.

The clouds no longer interferred with my view of The Black Tusk on the way down. For perspective, look closely to hikers climbing up to the lower ridge.


There was a marmot and I could see all the way to Howe Sound and the Squamish area.

I joined the trail heading to the Panorama ridge but I planned to save it for tomorrow on the way back.


I passed Mimulus and Black Tusk Lakes and the trail junction up to Panorama Ridge as I made my way to Helm Lake.

Panorama Ridge

Helm Lake

There was still lots of snow beside Helm Lake but there was nothing dangerous.


Across Helm Creek there was a great view of The Black Tusk.




I continued to the Helm Creek Campground and took a little break before entering the forest on my way to Cheakamus Lake.


There was large descent to the Cheakamus River.


I came to the first campground on Cheakamus Lake and it was quite crowded as there is a trailhead nearby.  I continued on to the east.

Cheakamus Lake



I came to the campground and I knew the hike along the lake was worth it.  I crossed a stream on a log and found a great campsite right  on the lakeshore.

I wandered around and there was another campsite nearby that would be great as well.  There was a light rain falling as I set up camp.

Cheakamus Lake looking west



Day 3: East Cheakamus Lake to Panorama Ridge and down to unnamed lake.

I began my backtrack to the Panorama Ridge with many beautiful flowers along the trail.






There were some great morning reflections on Cheakamus Lake.

The bridge over Cheakamus River

Cheakamus River

I climbed back up to Helm Creek Campground.  It began to rain so I took a break beneath some trees.

The Black Tusk from Helm Creek Campground



My shoes were a little muddy.

Eventually I decided to continue on.

Helm Creek

Helm Lake

Black Tusk Lake


I began my climb up to the Panorama Ridge in the clouds.  There was a large group in front of me.

There was a nice view of Mimulus, Black Tusk, and Helm Lakes below.

A lot of the climb was on snowfields, but some of it was rocky as well.

I reached the top and there was no view.  I barely even knew where Garibaldi Lake was.  I waited behind a rock wall for some time, hoping the visibility would improve.  It was quite windy and cold. I brought my ice axe but I never had to use it.


I decided to head down.  After descending a ways, to my right I noticed a lake down below not too far off the trail.  I decided to head for it and set up camp if I could find a suitable LNT campsite.

Looking back at my off trail route


Looking down to the unnamed lake

I ended up finding a suitable site beside the lake.

There was an impressive valley away from the lake.

It was a great place to spend the night and I thought of returning to Panorama Ridge in the morning if visibility improved.

Day 4: Unnamed Lake to Panorama Ridge and Parking Lot (via Taylor Meadows)

After a somewhat rainy night, I climbed back up to the Panorama Ridge.

Looking back to where I camped

Visibility was improved!

I came to the classic view of The Black Tusk and Black Tusk Lake.


The views were spectacular but I still wondered if I would be able to see Garibaldi Lake.

Soon I discover that I would!

Garibaldi Lake just visible to the left.

 I came to the panoramic view the Panorama Ridge is named for!

The panorama could be stretched even farther to include The Black Tusk as well!

While the adventure would have been worth it without these views, these were the views I had dreamed of when planning.



View North


On the way down I slid/ran down the snowfield.  It was great fun!



I rejoined the trail and headed back to the parking lot via Taylor Meadows.  It was a long and wet descent, but the joys of the morning more than made up for it!

Overall, the beauty of Garibaldi Provincial Park was unlike any I had experienced before.  I highly recommend this park. It is very feasible to do either the Panorama Ridge or the Black Tusk as a day hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment