The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Jordan River Pathway/NCT loop

June 10, 2015

Of all the national scenic trails, I have currently hiked the most miles on the North Country Trail, a 4600 mile trail from North Dakota to New York (soon Vermont). Whether it be beautiful segments in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (Border Route TrailKekekabic Trail), along Lake Superior's beautiful shoreline (Superior Hiking TrailPictured Rocks National Lakeshore), or in Michigan's Lower Peninsula the NCT has provided exceptional hiking opportunities.

I will have time to hike a significant portion of trail this summer and coming fall in Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula. Section hiking the NCT's established trail in the Lower Peninsula is becoming a realistic goal. This loop hike in the Jordan River Valley is certainly one of the highlights of this section of the NCT.  I hiked it previously during a weekend backpacking trip (see here).

This time I got off work early and only being a half hour away, I decided to complete the entire loop during an afternoon hike/trail run.

For a map see below:


I started at Deadman's Hill and hiked clockwise.  Deadman's Hill provides one of the most expansive views in the lower peninsula.


I started out moving quickly and reached a road crossing.

There was great trail beside scenic streams.

There were scenic bridges as well.




I made it to the next overlook, Landslide Overlook, with many ridges off in the distance.



From the overlook, I joined the North Country Trail.

The trail continued to follow and cross pristine streams.


The trail construction was excellent.




I came to the only place where the NCT crosses the 45th parallel.

As I neared the Jordan River, I came to some open areas.


The Jordan River



I continued on to the Pinney Bridge Campground.  I stopped to re-fill my water bottle at the pump.

Shortly after leaving the campground I came to another impressive view of the Jordan River Valley.

There were also beautiful flowers along the trail.


I could see the Jordan River through the trees.


The Jordan River

Somewhere along this stretch of trail I believe I saw a fat beaver running away from me back to the river.  I didn't have time to take a picture.


There was lots of variety on this hike including the view below.

I came to a spot where the trail was detoured due to a bridge being out.  I had visited the area about a month previously and decided to head to the bridge anyway.

I crossed on a beaver dam without much difficulty. As can be seen, the bridge crossing is currently dangerous.

The beaver dam that I crossed on.

This beaver pond is one of my favorite locations on the loop.


I came to a trail junction with a short cut back to Deadman's Hill, but continued on the NCT. There continued to be flowers beside the trail.


I came to the final junction back to Deadman's Hill and signed in at the trail register.

It was a steep but beautiful climb back to the trailhead.


I walked the short distance back to Deadman's Hill lookout for a great evening view.

The whole loop took me about 5 hours and ideally I would take my time to enjoy it more, but this was certainly a pleasant week-day after-work adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment