The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Saturday, March 12, 2016

North Country Trail: Battle Creek Linear Park

December 6, 2015
~10 NCT miles one-way

Highlights: Battle Creek, Kalamazoo River, Battle Creek River

Of all the national scenic trails, I have currently hiked the most miles on the North Country Trail, a 4600 mile trail from North Dakota to New York (soon Vermont). Whether it be beautiful segments in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (Border Route TrailKekekabic Trail), along Lake Superior's beautiful shoreline (Superior Hiking TrailPictured Rocks National Lakeshore), or in Michigan's Lower Peninsula (Manistee RiverJordan River Pathway), the NCT has provided exceptional backpacking opportunities.

With a travel PT job in southwest Michigan, I have had the opportunity to complete much of the established NCT in southern Michigan.   While much of the NCT in southern Michigan includes lengthy road walks, there are still many excellent sections of trail.

Given the paved nature of the trail through Battle Creek, I decided to bike a loop of the Battle Creek Linear Park.  I started at eastern end at the parking off E Emmet Street.  See Map below.


For a map of Battle Creek Linear Park see here.

I started my loop going counter clockwise past Bailey Park.

Near the parking area there was a scenic dam on the Battle Creek River.



I stopped for a view of Spring Lake.


After some scenic riding, I arrived at the Kalamazoo River and joined the NCT.  I decided to ride over to the Fort Custer eastern trailhead.

The trail crosses a scenic blue bridge.


There were two ways to reach the trail on the eastern edge of Fort Custer.  The first time I rode right past the trail as there wasn't a trailhead.  I found it the second time.  A short distance back into the woods there was a kiosk.

I decided to save the trail through Fort Custer for later and began my journey back.  This time I took the northern option to return to the linear park.  There was an Amtrak train speeding by.

There was a nice NCT sign directing the way.

Back on the Linear Park I crossed a nice bridge.

Soon I was back at the Kalamazoo River and stopped for a snack.

I crossed the blue bridge again.

I began to ride new parts of the linear park.  The NCT stays close to the river.

There were some ducks swimming nearby.



An impressive lookout platform


The trail goes through a really scenic part of Battle Creek.







A nice view of a river bend, even a little ice on the river.

Kiosk


Soon I was back at the parking area off E Emmett Street.  The NCT through the Battle Creek area on the Linear Park was enjoyable.  There weren't many people on the trail, even though it was a pleasant December day.

No comments:

Post a Comment