The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Sunday, March 13, 2016

North Country Trail: Ott Biological Preserve

December 6, 2016

Of all the national scenic trails, I have currently hiked the most miles on the North Country Trail, a 4600 mile trail from North Dakota to New York (soon Vermont). Whether it be beautiful segments in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (Border Route TrailKekekabic Trail), along Lake Superior's beautiful shoreline (Superior Hiking TrailPictured Rocks National Lakeshore), or in Michigan's Lower Peninsula (Manistee RiverJordan River Pathway), the NCT has provided exceptional backpacking opportunities.

With a travel PT job in southwest Michigan, I have had the opportunity to complete much of the established NCT in southern Michigan.   While much of the NCT in southern Michigan includes lengthy road walks, there are still many excellent sections of trail.

I completed a quick loop in the Ott Biological Preserve after biking the Battle Creek Linear Park. 


I started at the trailhead at Jameson Avenue. The trail as shown in the above map was not correct.  The trail actually went south from the trailhead. For a better map see here.



Initially the trail stayed by a fence under some power lines.

Then it turned into the forest for a scenic walk on a ridge.


It was a nice evening, pleasant evening.

After crossing a boardwalk, I quickly reached the parking area Arlington Avenue.

On the way back I took the Sutarek Loop.


I came to the shore of Hall Lake.


I rejoined the NCT and went across the boardwalk again.

There was a scenic stream between Brigham and Hall Lakes.


I went off-trail a little and found a nice view of a beaver lodge on Brigham Lake.


Then I headed back to the parking lot on the NCT.


I stopped on the western edge of Hall Lake and could see some swam on the other side.


This was a quick and scenic hike near one of the larger metropolitan areas on the NCT.

No comments:

Post a Comment