The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

HCP Day 1: Pigeon Bridge CG to Bird Tally Creek


July 22, 2016

I started my hike from the Pigeon Bridge Trailhead in the evening after work.



I pumped some water at the nearby pump and started on the portion of the High Country Pathway that is shared with the Shingle Mill Pathway.


The trail was in good condition and marked well with signs at intersections.


The trail was near the Pigeon River.


It was still hot even in the evening and the forecast was for some of the highest temperatures of the summer.




I went past the headquarters of the Pigeon River Country Forest Area.


The building was closed but I picked up a few camper registration cards outside.


I walked through the Pigeon River State Forest Campground and then crossed the Pigeon River on the road's bridge.


Pigeon River

I reached an intersection and continued on the High Country Pathway.  There are many options for loops of different distances near this part of the trail.



I enjoyed some pleasant evening hiking and decided to hike until it was near dark and hoped I'd be able to find a suitable place to set up camp.


There was a bridge over a small stream.







I came to a sign indicating the Grass Lake Overlook.

I decided to check it out and in a short distance found a nice view, but couldn't see the lake.

Grass Lake Overlook


Camping isn't allowed here as the sign indicated.

I continued on the High Country Pathway alone, as I departed the Shingle Mill Pathway.


I came to a nice clearing.


The trail was on an old gaited road.

I stopped to get some water as I hiked on an actual road from a pond.

Back on the trail, it was soon getting dark.  I wandered off trail up a hill in the forest looking for a place to camp.  Through the other side of the forest there was an opening.  I found a view of the Bird Tally Creek pond.  There wasn't a great place to camp nearby so I went back in the forest and found a reasonably flat spot.





I went and explored a little more in the evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment