The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Sunday, October 2, 2016

East Coast Trail Day 2: Chance Pond River to South Cape Broyle Head Trailhead

September 9, 2016

Distance: 34.5 km (21.44 miles). Cumulative: 72.4 km
Paths: Spurwink Island (12.6/17.1), Mudder Wet (2.9),  Sounding Hills (5.5), Caplin Bay (5.2)
Communities: Aquaforte (3.0), Ferryland (0.9), Calvert (4.4)

I awoke to a cloudy and foggy morning, but it wasn't raining. I got my first view of Chance Bay.

Chance Pond River

There was some beautiful forested trail.


The fog gave the trail a different feel.





I reached Berry Head Arch, one of the most impressive spots on the entire ECT.


There was a side trail up the left side of the arch.

On top of Berry Head Arch




I came to the Spurwink Island Viewpoint, but all I could see were clouds.

I went past the Gallows Cove Campsite.

There was some beautiful forest hiking.



Visibility was quite low.

Whitehorse River


The trail was parallel to the highway for a short distance.

I crossed an old bridge over the Southwest River.

There was a nice waterfall.

I reached the end of the Spurwink Island Path and joined the Mudder Wet Path.

I took a side trail to see the river.


There was an impressive view of the river gorge.


I could barely see out through Aquaforte Harbour through the clouds.

I took a side trail down to the water and explored the area.

Little River

Back on the main trail I followed along the Little River in the clouds.

Looking back to the beach I was on before

I reached the end of the Mudder Wet Path.

I began the community link through Aquaforte.  There was a scenic fishing boat.
Spout River

I reached the Sounding Hills Path.

There was a side trail to a nice view of the river.


I could see a waterfall through the fog. It had probably been raining for a while by this time. I was pretty wet.




I left the forest for what would have been some nice views.


It was interesting to see a waterfall in the ocean.

More blueberries!


Nearing Ferryland


I reached the end of the Sounding Hills Trail and had a short road walk to the Caplin Bay Path.

The highway is actually between the path and the ocean.

The path was up on a ridge primarily on an old road.

The road made for easy hiking, but there were few views today.

The path used actual roads for part of it. It cleared up a little.

There was some hiking through the forest.


I reached a ball field and it was raining quite heavily.  I stopped in the dugout to take a break.

Scoggins Head


Lance Cove (I believe)

I descended to the water.
Soon I reached the end of the Caplin Bay Path and started the road walk to the southern end of the Cape Broyle Head Path where there was camping per my spreadsheet.

It was a scenic walk through Calvert.
Gut Pond

Visibility improved and I could see across Calvert Bay.


It was evening and I could barely see the sun coming through the clouds for the first time during the day.

As I was nearing the end of the road walk, I saw a couple out walking with their dogs, the first people I had met that were hiking on the ECT. Near the Cape Broyle Head Trailhead there was a nice pond. 
There was also a trailer nearby but I didn't see anyone. I found a place to camp near the trailhead.

In the night a gust of wind blew my tent down and I awoke to a star-filled night.

I could see the lights from Ferryland in the distance across the bay.


Continue to Day 3

1 comment:

  1. Very nice photographies that speak about the trail conditions and the landscape. Merci.
    Pierre-Émile

    ReplyDelete