The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Sunday, October 2, 2016

East Coast Trail Day 4: Deep Cove to Big Cove

September 11, 2016

Distance: 39.8 km (24.73 miles). Cumulative: 146.35
Paths: Flamber Head (9.2/11.5), La Manche Village (2.1), Tinkers Point (5.1), Beaches (7.0), Mickekleens (4.5/7.3)
Communities: Bauline East, Burnt Cove, & Tors Cove (5.1); Mobile (1.4), Witless Bay (5.4)

I could see the see brightness through the trees and stumbled out of my tent to see the sun rising over the ocean.





Campsite near Deep Cove

It was a beautiful morning on the Flamber Head Path.

Looking back to Brigus Head

I could also see Cape Broyle Head.

Within a short distance I reached the Roaring Cove River Campsite.



There was a side trail to Flamber Head for an impressive panoramic view.


View south from Flamber Head

Flamber Head




There was a bridge over Freshwater River.

There was a waterfall on the river.


Flamber Head

Cape Broyle Head in the distance




Cape Neddick


I took a side trail to the top of Cape Neddick.  I could see some of the islands in Witless Bay.

Looking toward La Manch Village

On top of Cape Neddick there were berries everywhere.

A great southern view


I passed a few day-hikers heading the other way, the first people I had seen hiking on the ECT since I started.

Cape Neddick

Soon I could see the La Manche Village suspension bridge.

I could see many people on the bridge.

I took a break and enjoyed the view.

Near the bridge there were some old building foundations.  There were many people nearby enjoying the beautiful day.

The Flamber Head Path ended at the suspension bridge.

I joined the La Manche Village Path, which actually is just 2.1 km now.  Previously the road walk was included as part of the trail for some odd reason.


There was a waterfall on the cliffs with a little water flowing.



There were nice stairs on the other side of the bridge.



The La Manche Village Path was one of the easiest paths on the ECT and mainly followed an old road.


I began the community link to the Tinkers Point Path.

I enjoyed the views of the islands.

Part of the link was on a remote gravel road.




Power Plant








I reached the Tinkers Point Path and there were people near the trailhead picking berries.


Fox Island


I took a side trail to explore Lower Beach.




Much of the Tinkers Point Path was easy hiking.

There were a few rocky sections.











I reached second Deep Cove of the day. There were many day-hikers out enjoying the beautiful day.

End of Tinkers Point Path

The trailhead was busy.

Next was the link through Mobile.

Mobile Bay

Beaches Path Trailhead



I took a break on the rocky beach.




I had planned to stop for the night in one of the communities, but I wanted to get past Witless Bay and didn't have time to make it to Bay Bulls.  I planned to get as close Bay Bulls as I could and resupply at the grocery store in town the next day.




Green Island







The Witless Bay Islands are one of the best places to see sea birds. I previously took a boat tour with my parents before beginning the hike.  I highly recommend taking the time to join one of these outstanding tours.

Gull Island



Overall, Beaches Path was another easy path.




Witless Bay

Gull Island


I reached the end of Beaches Path and there were several people picking berries near the trailhead.


The next community link was through Witless Bay.


Witless Bay


It was getting late in the evening as I reached Mickeleens Path.  The nearest campsite per the spreadsheet was at Big Cove and I had a ways to go.



Bears Cove






There was a very large red cove.


I found three moose on the edge of a cliff in the trail eating some berries.


They went off to the side of the trail and I carefully made my way past them.


I could see across Bay Bulls Harbour to the Bay Bulls Light.




Baboul Rocks



Bay Bull Light

I continued hiking into the night and found a place to camp near Big Cove on what appeared to be an ant hill.

Continue to Day 5

1 comment:

  1. Gee, Eric, you are a very strong and fast walker. Pierre-Émile

    ReplyDelete