The map below shows hikes that I have posted. Double click to zoom in on an area. Click on a hiker icon to discover great hikes! Red stars indicate long distance hikes.

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Highbanks Trail: Huron National Forest

October 25, 2016
7 miles

The Highbanks Trail is a scenic trail "along the towering bluffs of the Au Sable River, offering incredible vistas of the historic Au Sable River Valley." The trail is located in the Huron National Forest. Camping is allowed at designated campsites only, options include: Monument Campground and Sawmill Point (permits necessary May 15 through September 30).  If willing to do a few short road walks it looks possible to form a loop (~15 miles) utilizing the Shore-to-Shore Trail.


After getting off work early, I decided I had time to bike the road and hike the trail back to my car.  I parked at the eastern trailhead on Cooke Dam Road.  I biked Cooke Dam Road and River Road Scenic Byway to Iargo Springs. Then I left my bike and began the hike.

View of Cooke Dam Pond near Iargo Springs

Before starting the Highbanks Trail, I descended many steps to see Iargo Springs.

Iargo Springs


There was an impressive boardwalk with the springs flowing underneath it.

Cooke Dam Pond


I began the return to the parking lot to the start of the Highbanks Trail.




Western end of the Highbanks Trail

The trail does go underneath powerlines at times.

There was a great view of the Au Sable River.


There was also some nice forest hiking.

I reached Canoer's Memorial and enjoyed the view.

There were a couple others nearby.


The trail went back to the powerlines.

Then the forest.


I could see the sand dune in the distance.

At times I ventured off-trail a short distance and found some impressive views.

Through a nice pine forest.

I reached Lumberman's Monument.


View from Lumberman's Monument

I had previously descended the many stairs to the wanigan on an earlier date, but I highly recommend going all the way to the bottom.

A short distance away, I reached Sand Dune Overlook.


The trail was right through the sand.

I could see the wanigan, a logger's floating kitchen.



The hiking by the dunes was some of the best along the Highbanks Trail.  In the summer it would be quite tempting to run down and go for a swim.




It was near evening and there was nice light and color across Cooke Dam Pond.

I could see a single kayaker down below.




Near the end of the trail there were a few road crossings.


I reached the eastern end of the Highbanks Trail.

I went down to the water for another view.

While driving back to my bike at Iargo Springs, I stopped at Canoer's Memorial.
Overall, the Highbanks Trail is a spectacular day-hike and provides some of the finest views in Michigan's Lower Peninsula. This hike was on my to-do list for quite some time and it certainly didn't disappoint.  The fall colors, beautiful weather, and uncrowded trail were a bonus.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the beautiful pictures Eric! I hiked part of that trail last winter with my lab --and yes, we went to the bottom of the steps. And back up. Next spring, I might try to the 'loop' you suggest.

    ReplyDelete